Sage advice from Mark Thomas:
- Try to maintain 20kph (including stops) during the day.
This is easy to calculate, even when tired.
- Keep stops short enough to keep on that schedule.
That gives me 6 hours in 24 for rest.
18 hours x 20kph = 360km or 24 hours of brevet time.
5 hours rest instead allows me to start with an hour in the bank.
- Don’t panic if falling behind.
I assume a shorter sleep break can fix.
- Be cognizant of the 10 hours extra time on return.
Forgetting this can induce unnecessary panic.
- Ok to settle for 15kph (including stops) during days 3-4.
Anything better than the 20kph/15kph is gravy. Stop for ice cream.
- Did I mention this already? Don’t panic